Translate

jueves, 11 de septiembre de 2014

tennessean.com – 10 de septiembre de 2014 – EEUU

Big tobacco farms exploit children

I grew up in Middle Tennessee each year working with my dad raising tobacco. When I was 9, I would go down each row, dropping tobacco sticks to put the fresh-cut tobacco on to hang in the barn. I had many enjoyable memories along with my three younger sisters in the family tradition.

Now, Big Tobacco farmers are working minors, in big fields in Tennessee and North Carolina, for 12-hour shifts six days a week. That is exploitation, it’s wrong and it needs to be stopped immediately. Many of these young workers are getting very sick from contact with nicotine and are being forced to work in the rain. Most of these workers are migrants. The parents put their own children in the fields to work as well.

We complain of garment factories in China and India working minors making our clothes. It is sad to say, but we do little to stop the abuse of minors in our fields here at home.

Ron Story

Charlotte 37036

No hay comentarios: