martes, 7 de octubre de 2014 – 5 de Octubre de 2014 – EEUU

Kent child ingests e-cig liquid, sent to hospital

KENT – A Seattle-area mother says her 22 month-old ingested e-Liquid and it sent her to the hospital.
"It took seconds," Nicole Oliver said about her 22 month-old daughter Winona. "Her eyes were rolling back in her head and she was just flopping around."

The vapor, which goes into e-cigarettes, can smell and taste like fruity flavors such as watermelon.

Dr. Alexander Garrard, Clinical Managing Director for the Washington Poison Center, said that's part of the problem they're seeing.

"Kids can't differentiate that this is nicotine. They don't know what that is," he said. "It's pretty alarming - the trend that we've seen in e-cigarette exposures, especially amongst kids. Our call volume at the Washington Poison Center has increased now over 700 percent."

Some of the companies that make the liquid provide childproof packaging, but the industry standard doesn't call for it yet.

"What we're finding now is that there are a greater proportion of kids, especially in the ages of 1 and 3 years, that are getting into it," Garrard said. "Over 80 percent of the calls that we get at the poison center in regards to eCigarettes are kids 1 to 3 years of age."

Publicación original:

No hay comentarios: