E-cig concerns rise with popularity
MINNEAPOLIS - The Uptown Vapor Shoppe was the first e-cigarette store of its kind in Minneapolis.
In just a year manager Jesse Sigel has seen his customer base grow and his products expand.
"We've got Gummy Pear … Maui Waui is a dragon fruit so that's tasty," Sigel said.
Those tasty flavors are raising red flags from organizations including the Centers for Disease Control and the Minnesota Poison Control.
"The amount of nicotine it takes to be toxic to a child or even potentially fatal is actually quite small," said Dr. Jon Cole, Poison Control Medical Director.
Just a few drops of e-cigarette juice can be fatal for a child, according to Cole. Luckily, Minnesota hasn't seen any fatalities, but Cole said he's worried.
From 2011 to 2012 the center received very few calls about e-cigs. So far this year, the center has already received 62 calls, according to Cole.
See more at: