AMHERST, N.Y. (WIVB) - Some Amherst town leaders want to get tough on tobacco. Monday afternoon, Council Member Steven Sanders will announce a plan to discourage youth from using tobacco.
Recommendations include banning sales to people under 21, and stopping sales within 1,500 feet of schools. The plan even snuffs out e-cigarettes anywhere smoking is banned.
The Tobacco-Free Steering Committee will present its recommendations at 3 p.m. Monday in the Amherst Town Council chambers.
The resolution aims to:
1. Stop the sale of tobacco products to people under the age of 21 years old.
2. Stop the sale of tobacco products within 1,500 feet of a school.
3. Stop the sale of flavored tobacco products.
4. Stop the sale of tobacco products in pharmacies and stores that contain a pharmacy.
5. Stop the use of e-cigarettes anywhere that smoking is currently prohibited.